Located at the entrance of Mureung Valley, this historied temple was established by Jajangyulsa in the 11th year of the reign of Silla’s King Seondeok (642) and named Heukyundae. After that, it was rebuilt by Buddhist monk Bumil and renamed Samgongam.
Except Yaksajeon, almost all Samhwasa buildings burnt in the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, however, it was rebuilt in the 1st year of the reign of King Hyeonjong (1660). This temple whose buildings were burnt and damaged through the twice disasters in the 23rd year of King Sunjo(1823) and the 43rd year of King Gojong(1906) has been reconstructed with lively historical records.
- Three-storied stone pagoda in Samhwasa Temple 4.7m of Height. Designated as the National Treasure No.1277. The oldest formative art in Donghae. Signs of sufferings remain manifestly in all the stories.
Samhwasa Iron Buddhist Statue
- Guessed that it was created toward the close of the Shilla era, the Buddhist statue is called Cheoljonosanabuljwasanga and designated as the National treasure No.1299 (on December 18, 1998).
- According to the historical record, "Under King Jeongju of Jo Seon Dynasty, the Samcheokbusa Yunsok built a small temple in this place and called it Jijoam". 5km distance to the west of Samhwasa. Since movement of Samhwasa in1981, it has been called Gwaneumam.
- Location : 8-tong, Samhwa-dong, Donghae, Gangwon-do
- Entrance Fee : Adult (KRW1,000), Youth(KRW700), Child(KRW400), No Discount for Group
- Climbing Course
- Entrance → Mureungbanseok → Samhwasa Temple → Hill-Fort Duta → Mt. Dutasan(14.9㎞, 260 min required)
- Entrance → Mureungbanseok → Samhwasa Temple → Gwaneumsa Temple → Gojeokdae →Mt.Dutasan(24㎞, 7 hours required)
- Entrance → Haksodae → Ssang Waterfall (Twin Waterfall) → Yongchu Waterfall → Bakdangryeong → Mt. Cheongoksan (12㎞, 220 min required)
- Car : Donghae City Hall ⇒ The entrance of Mureung Valley (12㎞, 20min required)
- Cross-country Bus : Dong Seoul ⇒ Cross-country Bus Terminal(11 times per day, every 1 hour, 4hr required)
- Express Bus : Seoul (Gangnam, Dong Seoul) ⇒ Donghae City (22 times per day, 210 min required)
- Railroad : Chengryangri ⇒ Donghae Station / Mukho Station(4 times per day, 6hr required) Accommodations
- Hotels : Hotel New Donghae (First Class, 52 Rooms, +82-33-533-9215), Gokbin Tourist Hotel (First Class, 70 Rooms, +82-33-533-9700)
- Inns : Mureung Plaza (+82-33-534-8855), Cheongokjang (+82-33-534-8866)
- Homestay : Available in all the stores of Mureung Valley (+82-33-5347-7229)
- Hwanggi Dakbaeksuk(Chicken Boiled with Rice), Boiled rice with edible wild plants, Panfried potato, Acorn-starch Jelly
- Dry cuttlefish, Solen strictus, Roe of the pollack : Donghae NFFC (+82-33-532-2018)
- Craft Items/Souvenirs : Cheongok Cave Service Area (+82-33-535-1521), All the stores in Mureung Valley, Samhwa-dong
- Processed Tangle foodstuffs : Shinnong Food (+82-33-521-2794) - Tangle Alali, Granular type, Tangle powder, Tangle Makguksu (a sort of noodles)
- Processed Honghwa seed foodstuff (Honghwajeong) : Donghae Honghwa Society (+82-33-533-4644)
- Agaric, Pyogo mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum : Danbong Yeongji Mushroom (+82-33-521-5145)
- Mureung Valley → Chuam Beach → Cheongok Cave (4hr required)
- Mureung Valley → Mukho Port → Mangsang Beach