Mureung Valley, in which fairies strolled, is called Mureungdowon. It is surrounded by Mt. Dutasan and Mt. Cheongoksan and presents a grand sight by numbers of rocks of fantastic shapes and superb views such as Mureungbanseok, Haksodae, Gwaneum Waterfalls, Yongchu Waterfalls, Ssang Waterfalls, and Jangunbawi as if you feel in the actual fairyland.
Mureung Valley keeping ancient mystery and legend is a tourist attraction enough to fascinate lots of tourists to visit this place.
It is called Mureungdowon, where Lee Seung-hyu with the nom de plume of Dongahngeosa in the Goryeo Dynasty stayed in Yongandang, the predecessor of the present Cheoneunsa, and wrote 'Jewangungi', and it is known that Kim Hyo-won, who assumed the Samcheokbusa in the Jo Seon Dynasty, gave its name.
Mureung Valley presents superb views by rocks of fantastic shapes in rows as if you feel in the actual fairyland, fascinates numbers of tourists, and is a historic place of scenic beauty keeping various legends and history.
It was designated as the National Tourist Attraction No.2 in 1977. Poetry of numbers of poet including Maewoldang Kim Shi-seub and Seokgak of Bongrae Yangsaeon as a noted calligrapher among representative 4 calligraphers in the Jo Seon Dynasty is carved over Mureungbanseok over 1,500 pyeong.
- Location : 8-tong, Samhwa-dong, Donghae, Gangwon-do
- Usage Information
- Enterance Fee: Adult KRW1,500(Group : KRW1,200), Student·Soldier KRW1,000(Group : KRW800), Children - KRW600(Group : KRW500)
- Encamping Fee : Small KRW4,000, Medium KRW6,000, Large KRW8,000
- Parking Fee : Large KRW5,000, Small KRW2,000(Discount 50% that car is registered in Donghae City) Standard at present in May 2003. To be changed later. Mureung Valley Management Office(+82-33-534-7306~07)
- Climbing Course
- Entrance → Mureungbanseok → Samhwasa → Duta Hill-fort → Mt. Dutasan(10.2㎞, 4hr required)
- Entrance → Mureungbankseok → Samhwasa → Gwaneumsa → Gojeokdae → Mt. Dutasan(24㎞, 7hr required)
- Entrance → Haksodae → Ssang Waterfall → Yongchu Waterfall → Bakdangryeong → Mt. Cheongoksan(12㎞, 4hr required)
- Car : Donghae City Hall ⇒ The entrance to Mureung Valley(12㎞, 20min required)
- Cross-country Bus : Dong Seoul ⇒ Cross-country Bus Terminal(11 times per day, every 1hr, 4hr required)
- Express Bus : Seoul(Gangnam, Dong Seoul) ⇒ Donghae City(22 times per day, 210 min required)
- Train : Cheongryangri ⇒ Donghae Station, Mukho Station(4 times per day, 6hr required)
- Hotels : Hotel New Donghae(First class, 52 Rooms, +82-33-533-9215), Eastern Beach Hotel(First class, 70 Rooms, +82-33-533-1930)
- Inns : Mureung Plaza(+82-33-534-8855), Cheongokjang(+82-33-534-8866)
- Homestay : Available in all the stores of Mureung Valley(+82-33-5347-7229)
- Dry cuttlefish, Solen strictus, Roe of the pollack : Donghae NFFC(+82-33-532-2018)
- Craft Items/Souvenirs : Cheongok Cave Service Area(+82-33-535-1521), All the stores in Mureung Valley, Samhwa-dong
- Processed Tangle foodstuffs : Shinnong Food(+82-33-521-2794) - Tangle Alali, Granular type, Tangle powder, Tangle Makguksu(a sort of noodles)
- Processed Honghwa seed foodstuff(Honghwajeong) : Donghae Honghwa Society(+82-33-533-4644)
- Agaric, Pyogo mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum : Danbong Yeongji Mushroom(+82-33-521-5145)
- Mureung Valley → Chuam Beach → Cheongok Cave(4hr required)
- Mureung Valley → Mukho Port → Mangsang Beach(4hr required)