Foreigners employed by a company that hires more than 5 employees are entitled to Workplace Medical Insurance. Spouses and children are also covered by this insurance. The employer should enroll them in a medical insurance program. Foreign employees are advised to confirm enrollment. Community Medical Insurance is only for the people who are not entitled to Workplace Medical Insurance.
Foreigners who fall in the categories below can apply for Workplace Medical Insurance or Community Medical Insurance.
- Foreigners who reside in Korea permanently with an F-2 visa.
- Native citizens' foreign spouses and their children with an F-1 visa.
- Foreigners who sojourn for a year or more with D-1, D-2, D-4, D-5, D-6, D-7, D-8, D-9, E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7, E-8 or F-4 visas and their children with an F-3 visa who are single and under 20 years of age.
Required Documents for Application for Community Medical Insurance
Alien Registration Certificate, a certificate of current employment or an employment contract.
- Foreigners who have an F-1 or F-3 visa : a certificate which can prove the family relation.
Where to Apply
You can get more information from the Head Office of the National Health Insurance Corporation (Tel. 3270-9102).
National health insurance corporation Donghae branch
- LocationSamyang Golden B/D 5F, 1072 Cheongok-dong Donghae-si, Gangwon-do